As I am a short girl myself, I love wearing high heels to make myself look taller. Not that I love being tiny, but wearing high heels makes you look more elegant and sophisticated. I sure do like wearing flats as they are very comfy, but I also do love my heels. What can go between women and the love of heels?
Wearing heels can make us look better, but there are some things to be aware of regarding how they can affect our body..specially high heels as high as 4″. For starters, they can affect your spine, hips, knees and ankles.
According to The Spine Health Institute, a woman’s body will attempt to compensate for the off-kilter balance heels cause by flexing or forward bending the hips and spine. In order to maintain balance, the calf, hip and back muscles become tense. At the end of the day this will cause excess muscle fatigue and strain. Overtime, wearing high heels can also cause the calf muscles to cramp and bulge.
Tips for wearing high heels:
- Avoid wearing heels for long periods of time.
- Stretch leg muscles before and after wearing them.
- Try to set your limit to 2-3 inches.
- Buy shoes in the afternoon, when your feet are at their largest.
- Don’t go for the pointed toe.
- Opt for shoes with leather insoles to keep foot from slipping (you can also put those cloth pads sold separately).
- Buy a variety of shoes and vary your shoes day to day.
And here are a few more tips by Michelle Phan on how to master the high heels
I hope this has been useful for you. If you have other tips you would like to share, please put them in the comment section below!
Don’t want to miss anything? Subscribe!